Sunday, August 10, 2008
Desired Christmas Activities
I hope we can generate several ideas of what sorts of activities we want to do during Christmas. Comments to this post should concentrate on listing everything we want to do during Christmas. Simply list things you hope, want, or must do with family members during Christmas. Don't worry about when we're going to do it, or how we're going to accomplish it; we'll discuss that in a different post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
the night the vampires saved chrismas. THE MOVIE
I definitely want to do the gift exchange -- we have a few gifts that are RIPE for the giving.
We want to reinstitute having the grandkids act out the nativity while the story of Christ's birth is read.
Okay... so here's the big sha-bang-bang. Mom and I brainstormed a whole bunch of ideas.... instead of posting them singly, I'm going to make a very LONG list. Anyone can respond to any or all of these ideas if they want:
1) Making gingerbread houses- this would probably be best to do on Christmas Eve... because once Christmas is over, it's hard to keep up the decorations and so forth. Is there anyone that would be willing to have this activity at their house? We could cover the kitchen table AND floor with some plastic picnic table cloths (found at the dollar store) and do small group rotations to avoid a huge mess).
2) Going to the cannery- I know this is probably improbable, but I thought I'd mention it because I wish I could do this with all of you.... we feel left out. :(
3) Music videos--I wanted to do this 2 years ago (the last time we were in Texas), but it never happened. I especially wanted the grandkids (separated possibly into a girl group and a boy group) to do separate lip-sink videos. It could be planned out beforehand, or totally improv. I was thinking that the girls could sing "Santa Baby," by Eartha Kitt found on the Elf soundtrack... and I had an idea for the boys, but it doesn't seem as cool of a match that I wanted. I was thinking the boys could do "Pennies from Heaven," from the same soundtrack.
4) Karaoke- I know we do this already.... but I was thinking we could have it definitely planned for one afternoon, where everyone sings only one or two, at most, songs. We could have it be just for fun, or a contest with certain prizes (all positive, of course). We could even do a mock "American Idol" show.
5) Skit in a Bag- I heard about Christie's "Skit in the bag" idea from last year. It sounds like A LOT of fun! I was thinking we could do this on New Year's Eve, but since Dane and Christe are leaving before then, perhaps we can do it before they go. I would also like this to be recorded so we can watch it later.
6)Games--this is pretty generic... maybe we can have a chess tournament. :) There are other enjoyable board games as well (like Settlers!), and I would also like to play a game of charades, and a game I learned at school called the Sign Game. If it's not too cold outside, perhaps we can also play arm tag, since there are so many of us. This is where you link arms with someone... I'm sure you're all familiar with this one.
7) Dance--before anyone moans and groans, I was wondering if a few of our family members would be willing to teach certain dance moves, or steps... for a certain genre or decade, and whoever wanted to learn, could learn. And whoever wants to teach, of course, can teach. I was HOPING that Jason would be willing to teach us his 70's moves. And I would love to do some swing dancing.... I'm sure a lot of you can offer your talents!
8) Slightly organized exercise- We could have daily walks available at a certain time, or some volleyball games. Is there a YMCA nearby any of you? Maybe we could play Wolleyball. Mason's family plays that when we go to Las Vegas. It is sooooo much fun!
9)Twilight- I believe this movie comes out on the 12th of December. If there are any who haven't seen it yet, a group could go together to see it. Mason and I will be available to babysit any kids of those who want to go.
10) Watching home movies- Jason, are these available? Could we also see the skits from last year's "skit in a bag?"
11) Writing a pass along story
12) Presents: the white elephant gift game (hopefully on Christmas Eve?), and I was also wondering about opening family gifts. I think it would be wise, since there are so many of us, to open our stockings and our individual family gifts with our own families. Then I think we should open family exchange gifts and gifts to/from mom/dad as an entire group. One thing I would really like to do this year is to take the time to watch each other open one another's gifts. Since we are so big, maybe we could have a few people open their gift at the same time, but then the rest of us can watch. Any comments on this? Or is it just me? People shouldn't be forced to do this, but I think it should be encouraged. I also think it would be nice to open these latter presents after an early dinner Christmas day.
13) Temple trip- Mason and I wanted to go Friday or Saturday morning.... EARLY.... for the first session at the Dallas temple. If you're interested in participating, there are a lot of details to work out. Maybe 2 different groups can go, as Janet suggested, and each round can trade babysitting. First, we need to know who is interested in going. I believe the temple is closed on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Since Dane and Christie will be there earlier than us, maybe a group can go before we even get there.
14) SHOPPING!!!! I want to go shopping with the girls on Friday. Who's with me?
How about a full blown family talent show??? (Since there are no longer any weddings to perform at) If we started preparing now....oh the possibilities. "Talents" shared could be almost anything. We're thinking mainly the grandkids would like to do something??? It would be interesting.
I think the talent show idea is AWESOME. Is there anyway to talk you guys (Dane and Christie) into staying longer? Please!!!!
I think anyone who wants to participate in the white elephant gift exchange, (kid and adult rounds), should just remember to bring their items. Should we have 2 rounds for each age group?
Just to clarify, when you say "their items," you mean that everyone should bring two white-elephant gifts each (kids included) so we can have two rounds each?
Yes.... two rounds for the kids, and two rounds for the adults.... unless everyone just wants to do one round. What do you think?
Kim the home movies are not ready. We still don't have our equipment back from Christie. Where is that anyway?
I'm loving the talent show idea, and skit in a bag, but I would rather not do both. It feels like too much stuff for such a short period of time.
As for white elephants. 2 rounds of each is fine with us.
sara
I would like a lot of unstructured time to just play board games and the like.
Are we going to have a talent show? I sure hope so -- I've got five acts I'm preparing!
Just kidding -- but I think we should consider the talent show a go. Rated PG, please.
Who's with me? (Besides Sara and Christie?)
We might need a refresher of Kim and Mason's "The Rose" and a Jason/Sara duet from a tv show theme song. Ya?? What if we were to create a coveted Poyfair family Sparkle-Dazzle award trophy (HSM 2 lingo) and vi (sp?) for it every year? The Dane Poyfair family would so take you all down!!! Are you all ready to bring it?
We could do a homeade gifts and goodies auction or gift exchange. Na. Does anyone really have time to make stuff anymore? But I would pay big bucks for a Carol Ann Poyfair apple pie....boughten pies do nothing for me after hers.
"The Rose" was a once-in-a-lifetime act for the viewing pleasure only of those present (and those lucky enough to get a copy of the video tape.)
Jason and I are game for a duet. There have been many times we've thought of a theme song and wondered why didn't choose that one.
Dad wants to go look at Christmas lights and go to the movies.
I would LOVE to sing Christmas carols sometime.
Post a Comment