The whole point of planning is to make sure we do all the activities each person wants to do. We hope that this will help those activities requiring more planning to come off without a hitch and will be less stressful to do. For example, some activities are adult-only and therefore require babysitting. I also think it would be beneficial if Mom & Dad, Dane & Christie, and Mason & Kim comment on who they're staying with (once they've arranged it) for scheduling reasons. Also, if you're working, what is your schedule? Or if you're coming from out of town, when are you showing up and taking off? We don't want to leave anyone out of major activities.
Let me emphasize a couple of things. First, no one has to do anything. Second, we anticipate that some activities will occur simultaneously. Third, one of the goals is not to plan every minute of every day. Fourth, just because an activity isn't planned doesn't mean you can't do it (is that a triple-negative?).
I hope this post will resolve the general picture of when we're doing what. For example, are we having Christmas in Fort Worth? Are we planning a mass migration to Chandler at one point? Is there a particular activity you want to host at your home?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
30 comments:
One question we need to ask everyone is for the families in the Dallas/Fort Worth area - Are you willing to donate your house for family gatherings? I think it would be a good idea to rotate houses so we take turns hosting.
We are thinking of coming on the 19 and staying until the 28th. We'll stay with whoever will take us. Kim and Mason, when are you coming?
I just think this is a great idea.
We want to reinstitute having the grandkids act out the nativity while the story of Christ's birth is read.
We're currently planning on arriving on leaving the evening of the 23rd, to arrive midday on Christmas Eve. We we planning on leaving on the 2nd of January.
How are we going to do meals? Do we want to have specific meals together? Or rotate homes? Should we all contribute some mulah for groceries?
Who is willing to open their home for activities and/or meals? (Sorry we can't offer our own home, we wish you all could come visit us!)
I think we should have one planned family activity in the daytime and one in the evening.
I think the schedule for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day should be more solidified, since we have more activities that we traditionally do on those days.
For example, at what time should we do the nativity? What time should we tell Santa to call?
When should we do presents as a family? Kim said she'd like to do them after an early dinner. At first, I didn't like that idea, but it would slow us down, which would allow us to enjoy opening our gifts a bit more.
Josh is apposed to the talent show. I however would like to do an interpretive dance with Kim while Christie sings, The Wind Beneath My Wings"/
Dane and Christie will be spending the Holidays at our house. Also, our home is open to any activity that people would like to do. AND!!!Dane, I'm totally going to kick your caboose at the gingerbread house competition.
I acidentally put an email under "anonymous". The Dane clan will be staying with the Draper's.
How about we finish generating ideas by October, and then plan on the MAIN activities we want to do for sure, and then we need to plan specifics for those main activities. For instance, if we decide to go to the temple as a family, those who want to go MUST coordinate babysitting schedules BEFOREHAND, otherwise I think it'll be a big mess. And if we decide to do a talent show, then those who will be performing, should be practicing their acts before we arrive, and if we do a skit in the bag, maybe 3 families could be in charge of getting a bag together. Is this o.k. with everyone that we finish generating ideas (for the most part) by October? Also, who is willing to put up there home for a dinner and/or activities?
Okay, my last comment wasn't posted. I just wanted to say that the aforementioned "anonymous" post which stated that Dane and Christie would be at our house was from me.
I'm fine with having all of the brainstorming done by October. I'm also okay with having any events or activities held at our house. People will just have to remember to take their allergy medicine before they come over, or else they will be somewhat.........miserable to say the least.
When Josh says "opposed to a talent show" I'm assuming he means he doesn't care to participate.
Or does he think the Poyfair family has such a dearth of talent that it would be painful to watch our so-called talents?
Kim and I would like to go to the Lake House because we never get to go when everyone else does (our fault not yours). We would hope that everyone able would join us so we can have a chance to be out there with the whole family.
Maybe we could head to the lake house after Dane and Christie take off? (Dane and Christie may be leaving later than the 28th or may be dying to travel more?)
I am totally willing to have dinner and an activity at our house. No medication needed! I can't say yet if we will go to the Lake. It really depends on Jason.
Dane here. I don't like the idea of playing musical houses in Dallas Ft. worth area. I think my family was planning on staying at Nikki's house for the week. She's something like 45 minutes to an hour away from each of the other sibling's house. Are we really to drive 2 hours every stinking day!?!?! That was the reason I left Dallas area (among others. COMMUTING!!! If it's ok with Mom and Dad - we're going to crash at the lake house the whole week. Those who want to come and visit us can do so. MERRY CHRISTMAS ! ! !
Well, I guess we're not going to see much of Dane and Christie's family for Christmas...Ah well, that's too bad...
Just kidding! Kim and I like your idea.
I made this up the other day -- yeah, my idea of fun is not the same as others...
Here's a list of all Texas residents and the distance (in miles) to every other house. I imagine everyone knows how long it takes to get to every other person's house, but I think it is helpful anyway, just to see it laid out.
This is according to mapquest, and each distance is ROUND TRIP. (Mapquest couldn't find Brandon and Sharee's address, so I just used the Zip Code -- not sure how that affects things, but probably not much.) The last element in each list, "sum", represents the mileage each household would drive if they went to every other household and back home just once.
For example, the sum under Shawn and Janet's tells the distance they would drive by driving to Monique and Josh's, back home, then to Jason and Sara's and back home, and finally to Brandon and Sharee's, and back home.
So if we estimate driving to each person's house twice during the vacation, we will have driven more than what it would take to make one round trip to the lake house.
Bottom line -- it makes sense (from a gasoline/money perspective) to do all family activities at one person's house and do all activities for the day back to back.
My point is, the mileage will add up quickly if we keep rotating houses. An alternative is, as Dane suggested, spend the whole time at one house.
Besides the money for the gas, which can easily get out of hand, I think we'll eventually drive ourselves nuts loading up the kids each day along with their junk (diapers, toys, etc) and driving 30-60 minutes one way.
Furthermore, I'd be surprised if we did everything at only one house per day, and did all the day's activities without going back home. This underscores the need for planning if we are to play "Musical Houses" as Dane so eloquently put it.
Shawn and Janet:
Jason and Sara 48
Brandon and Sharee 39
Josh and Monique 82
Sum 169
Lake House 302
Jason and Sara:
Shawn and Janet 48
Brandon and Sharee 39
Josh and Monique 93
sum 200
Lake House 291
Brandon and Sharee:
Shawn and Janet 39
Jason and Sara 58
Josh and Monique 53
sum 151
Lake House 291
Josh and Monique:
Shawn and Janet 82
Jason and Sara 93
Brandon and Sharee 53
sum 228
Lake House 258
What can we do to minimize driving time? Dane's proposition is a viable one, except I think we'd see less of those who work, (but maybe hey want a break?).
I meant to say that we should do all the activities FOR A GIVEN DAY at one house and do them back to back (in otherwords, only make the round trip there and back once a day).
I also meant "maybe they want a break", not "maybe hey want a break".
I can't believe all the work Mason and Kim have done to help us get organized, especially when they know it is all going to be analyzed, critiqued, etc. I guess you all know you are all welcome out here anytime. I haven't talked to dad yet, but I think we are planning on staying at the lake until Christmas Eve. Then we will either impose on someone there or stay at a motel for a couple of nights. I don't know how long we plan to stay. Why am I writing when I don't know anything? I DON'T KNOW!!! (as Pee Wee would say) I'll try to get some info from dad.
Mason, you are the man! Look at that detailed analysis. Here Here! This is why we will be spending the week at the Lake house (If ok with mom & dad). We could all pitch in money for food for the week, then we just have to deal with the insanity of living ontop of each other for a week. I can deal with it though. Heck, if your a veteran from the cabin that one Christmas - this should be a piece of cake -right?
There are only two problems I see (besides living ontop of each other - which actually could be considered an adventure - and in a sick way - fun!)
1)Brandon, Janet, and Jason will have to pop doggy allergy pills left and right. On the other hand , they will most liekly have to do this anyway, even if we are playing Musical houses.
2) This will be a nightmare for the only two people that have to work during this time - Shawn & Brandon. I imagine Brandon has a little mor leniancy with time off - so he might even be able to be there the whole weeek without this being a problem. Oh, but Shawn , our retail man this simply will not work for him - because most likely he needs to work every day that week besides Christmas and one of the weekend days.. I don't know if there is really any solution to this. but I would be willing to put $50 in the pot for gas money for him if he needs to come out to the lake house separate from his family. Or, Christie and I could drive into their home on Friday night, Dec 18th I think. Then take all the kids to Nikki's on Saturday, while Christie and I go to the temple. Then we could take the kids to the Lake house with us. Janet and Shawn could have the week alone - then come up on Christmas eve. This or some other variation would work for me.
What thoughts have ye Poyfair clan!!!???
Sharee here. Alright! I get to be the first person to represent from the Brandon Poyfair family! I just got the blog address and read ALL the comments - however, I am still confused (sorry!) about what is going to happen. Are we spending the whole time at the lake or the week after Christmas at the lake? Brandon will have Wednesday the 24th off through Sunday the 28th - that is 5 days. I know, 10 days off a year is LAME. We can head down to the lake on Wednesday morning and stay until Sunday evening. If that is the plan - or are we still planning on doing stuff up in the Fort Worth area? I liked that idea too. Whatever works.
About other things - Brandon and I would love a temple trip AND a trip to the cannery (if you still want to go Kim - I don't know when it is open...).
Sharee, you're just in time to make that decision. Let's sum up what we know so far:
Those for the Lake House:
Kim/Mason
Dane/Christie
Brandon/Sharee for a part of the time
What say the rest of you? I think when it comes down to it, if we decide to go to the Lake House, most of us will save gas money except maybe Shawn and Janet. But I'm with Dane, I would give some money into the pot to help them out if need be.
The way things are shaping up (that is, Dane/Christie leaving on the 28th), we'll probably drive straight to the Lake House. We may arrive as early as the 20th -- but no later than late on the 22nd. Then we'll get back to Dallas/FW the evening of the 29th. We'll go to the temple on the 30th (anyone want to join us?), celebrate the 1st (PULL -- POP!) and finally head back to Arizona on the 2nd -- if someone is willing to have us that long.
I really like the idea you posted last, Mason. Lake House first and then Fort Worth area. That way after Brandon has to go back to work on Monday (and probably Shawn), we can still get together in the evenings during the next week up in Fort Worth while you and Kim are in town. Sounds perfect. I don't know how everyone else feels, but we are all for that plan.
We'll do whatever everyone tells us to do. We have no work and no school, so really, it just doesn't matter to us.
Do ya'll know when the cannery will be open in December? We need to be in the Dallas area whenever they are open.
okay I'll be the dirty rotten one to say it. No one wants to go to the Lake for a week. We want to have christmas in our own homes, and get together in the afternoon or evening on christmas day. Then maybe go to the lake after christmas is over. there i did it. i said it for all you chickens!
ie... Monique, Brandon, Shawn, Jason, and i think even Dane. Oh that includes spouses too.
Don't you presume to speak for me!!!! I'm the one that said I didn't want to be going to a new house every stinking day. I'm the one (along with Mason) that wants to go to the Lake House for the whole week. I am COMPLETELY up for the adventure!!! LAKE HOUSE! LAKE HOUSE!!!
LAKE HOUSE!!!
We want to be wherever the party is. Right now that sounds like the Lakehouse. Thank you Mason for recording the difference in miles to everyone's home. If we only have to drive an extra 30 miles to get to the lakehouse, then we would rather do that. It would probably get pretty tiring traveling everyday to someone's house. We'd rather just get the drive over with and enjoy days of fun without the drive. - "taking a break" as Mason so eloquently put it.
Are there any questions that Josh and I haven't answered that need to be answered? (Kim?) I hope that we've addressed everything.
Post a Comment